Thursday, February 24, 2011

Brilliancy

Brilliancy is something that I do not yet have in Chess. Oh my.....I did not realize what an involved game Chess is. Or perhaps I did, and that is why I set a goal to learn to play and win? ;)


I played my first game of Chess the other night, or rather, I attempted to play. You know how when you get a new board game and open it up, read the directions and then start to play, since you can learn the game as you go along? Whoopsies, Chess is not like that! The game ended with me being delighted but confused and resigned feeling all at once, and reaching across the board and scooping up my opponent's pieces. Yes, I did that. And I laughed.


Back to square one, I need to really buckle down and learn about the game and the rules, moves, the glossary, etc. This is what I signed myself up for, and I am excited.


For the terms, I will be doing the old standby--flash cards! Does anyone have any tips for learning terms, rules, moves, anything else?


To make things a little more diverse, I have three DvD's on the way for some entertainment:
Chess: In Concert-a fun musical
The Chess Players-what looks to be a beautiful and entertaining Indian movie
and of course, the classic
Searching for Bobby Fischer

2 comments: